Dig into Medical Receptionist Job Description
What is a medical receptionist?
A medical receptionist is a professional that first contacts patients and visitors. The purpose of the contact is to establish an appointment with the doctor in the health center or hospital. Gp receptionists are responsible for organizing the schedule of people with their respective physicians.
Medical receptionist Qualifications
There are no strict qualifications for a medical receptionist job, but some jobs require diplomas and certificates. Medical receptionist requires the following qualifications.
- Five General Certificate of Secondary Education from A* to C, including English and maths, expected for the job.
- It is essential to have a diploma in science or administration certificate.
- It would be favorable to have a bachelor's degree in science or related subjects.
- Some jobs require at least two-year experience at a facility.
- It is advantageous to know medical terminology, Health Insurance Portability, and Accountability (HIPAA) regulations, International Classification of Disease (ICD), and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding.
Medical receptionist courses
Medical receptionist courses Level 2 Qualifications include the following.
The Association of Medical Secretaries, Practice Managers, Administrators, and Receptionists (AMSPAR) is an organization that provides qualifications for medical receptionists. They provide the following:
- Diploma in Medical Reception
- Level 2 certificate in medical terminology for non-medical experts
City & Guilds
City & Guilds is an institution that provides technical education. They work with AMSPAR and offer qualifications to medical receptionists. They give a Level 2 Intermediate Diploma for medical reception. They also offer the City & Guilds Level 3 Advanced Diploma for medical secretaries.
EDEXCEL is a privately owned British international examination body. It provides Level 2 National Vocational Qualification NVQ in support services in health care.
British Society of Medical secretaries and administration (BSMSA) is a membership organization that provides accredited City and Guilds training. They provide a nationally recognized certificate in Medical Secretarial.
Medical receptionist skills
Gp receptionists require the following skills to be qualified for a job.
- Medical receptionists require strong communication and interpersonal skills. These skills include confidence in person as well as on the phone.
- Good organizational as well as critical thinking skills
- Ability to withstand workload and pressure
- Decent grooming and presentation of themselves
- Flexibility and adaptability are always appreciated.
- Patience and sympathy are desirable.
- Know about computers and the required coding
- Be respectful but firm while dealing with patients.
Responsibilities of a medical receptionist
The most medical receptionist job description states the responsibilities, which include the following.
- Since they come in contact with patients first, they welcome the patients and attend them either in person or phone.
- Direct patients to the physician's room and give directions.
- Assist patients and staff in the facility
- Keep the business supply in checks, such as supplies, equipment, and maintenance repairs.
- Attend to calls in a professional manner
- HIPAA rules and regulations violations not allowed
- Respect patient's privacy and maintain confidentiality
- Organize and schedule appointments for patients
- Organize samples for collection, noting down the test results and compile them in a file
- Ensuring the patient's files are in and out of the department.
- Communicate the medical result with the patient in a professional manner and keep the privacy of the patient in mind
- Issuing of prescription given before
- Accurate documentation of the patient's visit
- Updating of records on computer
- Report to practice manager in case of any problem
It is an office-based job that requires sitting and working at a desk. Employees require Proper attire. Medical receptionists work from 9:00-am to 6:00-pm, Monday to Friday. They usually cover 37 to 40 hours a week. They may be required to cover an extra shift in the evenings or on weekends.
Salary of a medical receptionist
Medical receptionist salary ranges from £17,000 to £36,000 per year in the UK. The average salary of a medical receptionist is £21,000 per year or £11 per hour.
Many medical receptionist jobs in London, UK, are available. The NHS employs them the most through hospitals and healthcare centers. Medical receptionist jobs near you are also available in voluntary organizations and private hospitals.
A medical receptionist is a professional that first contacts patients and visitors. There are no strict qualifications for a medical receptionist job, but some jobs require diplomas and certificates.
Medical receptionists require strong communication and interpersonal skills. It is advantageous to know medical terminology, Health Insurance Portability, and Accountability (HIPAA) regulations, International Classification of Disease (ICD), and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding. It would be favorable to have a bachelor's degree in science or related subjects.
Several institutes provide courses that further qualify you for a job. There are various responsibilities of a medical receptionist. Some employers extend the work hours, and you can do overtime. The overall pay is good, and you can work in a hospital and healthcare center.
Search 1000's of remote jobs
Find out your market rate by simply uploading your CV
Get the mobile appNEW!
Continue your search from your iPhone or Android phone.